Add one more great reason to purchase the Kindle – the new Kindle Owners’ Lending Library! – coming soon to a Kindle near you!
Kindle users have been trying to find a good way to lend books to one another for a while, and there have been some great systems; however, this seems like it will be the easiest way to do so up to this point.
How It Works
Basically it will work like this -
- First, you must own a Kindle and be an Amazon Prime user (totally worth it if you by much on Amazon, as you get free hipping on just about everything)
- Once you are part of the program, there will be a new option in your menu on the Kindle for the Lending Library.
- You can go to the Library and browse what books are available to borrow.
- You choose to either borrow or buy the item.
- You can borrow one book per month.
- You do not have to worry about deleting it or getting rid of the book. It will stay on your Kindle until you borrow another one, if you choose to do so in future months.
The book selection will not be too shabby, either. You will be able to pick from over 5,000 books at any one time, along with lots of NYT bestsellers in the list.
I think this is a great idea from Amazon. Some have said that it may cause Amazon to lose some money up front, as people will be borrowing and not buying. However, I think it will instead lead to more purchases of Amazon Prime, which can only be good for Amazon in the long run.
Also, check out our Kindle Fire Review!